~My Reason For Our Blog~
"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences." — Gordon B. Hinckley

Friday, January 20, 2012

~Just A Thought~

I have been called to teach primary at church  which means I spend most of my time with a great group of kids who are going to be 10 this year. When all the kids are in class there are at least 12 of them. I learn so much from their comments, testimonies and questions. They inspire me to study and be better. To look out at their innocent faces and know they are relying on me at this time in their lives to teach them can be overwhelming, but I still love it!
I have the best of both worlds, while I am teaching these kids, their parents are in having their own lessons that Ward gets to participate in.  When we get home I tell him about my class and the lesson I got to teach and he tells me about the lesson he learned.  We have a great discussion over these lessons together, sometimes our girls even get involved.  It makes for a great conversation as we prepare lunch together.  This week the lesson for the adults was titled "Love Thy Neighbour as Thyself".  We had a great discussion over this, after Ward and I talked about this I had to read the lesson myself.  I really enjoyed the lesson, there was so much to think about. I get so caught up in just living that I forget the real reason I am here. In the eternal view it doesn't matter if I am caught up with the laundry or if the dishes are done. What matters is how I treat others, do I reach out to those in need, am I intune with the spirit to know the needs of those around me? I want to understand the needs of those around me to serve them as I grow to love them. I need to love, serve and listen, that is what really matters. That is my goal for the New Year. ~LOVE~ SERVE ~LISTEN


 Here are some of my favorites of the lesson:

If we find a man or a woman who has not succeeded in life, one who is weakening in his faith, let us not turn our backs upon him; let us make it a point to visit him, and go to him in kindness and love, and encourage him to turn from the error of his way. The opportunity to do individual work among us as a people is present everywhere; and there are few men and few women in this Church who could not, if they would, reach out a little farther from the circle with which they are identified, and say a kind word, or teach the truth to some of our Father’s children. … This is our Father’s work. It is the most important thing that we will be identified with in this life.

I really like the last part where we are reminded that this is our Father's work.  We are doing his business.   We are representing Him with our actions or lack of actions toward others.

.....You cannot drive people to do things which are right, but you can love them into doing them, if your example is of such a character that they can see you mean what you say.

Our actions speak louder then our words.  We are always being watch, someone will notice how we are living our life whether it is for good or whether it is bad.  I think I have been influenced more by the people I watch then the words I have heard.  I hope I am an example of good for those who are watching me, especially my children.

 Our Heavenly Father has said in very plain terms that he who says he loves God and does not love his brother is not truthful [see 1 John 4:20].

This quote really hit me.  We can't say one thing and do another.  I am trying to remember we are all God's children, we all deserve to be treated as such.  My dad use to say, "You don't have to like everyone, but you do have to be civil."  I will never forget that.  There are many people we will come across that we wont get along with, that is normal, we are all different, but they deserve to be treated with kindness no matter what our differences are.   Which leads me to another one of my favorite parts of the lesson.

I have only good will in my heart for mankind. I haven’t any animosity in my heart toward any living human being. I know some that I wish would behave themselves a little better than they do, but that is their loss, not mine. If I can get my arm around them and help them back on the highway of happiness by teaching them the gospel of Jesus Christ, my happiness will be increased thereby. … You cannot drive people to do things which are right, but you can love them into doing them, if your example is of such a character that they can see you mean what you say.

I can not control others, I can only control myself.  I have the agency to choose how I will act and react to those around me who choose a different path then myself.  I love where he says,  "I know some that I wish would behave themselves a little better than they do, but that is their loss, not mine."  

The ending paragraph is the way I hope to live my life.  I want to be the best me I can be.  The only way that can happen is to follow the commandments and live my life after the Savior.

… Let us evidence our appreciation of what the Lord has given us by serving Him, and we are serving Him when we do good to His children. Freely we have received, now freely give [see Matthew 10:8]. With hearts warmed with love and kindness for our fellow men, let us press steadily on until the final summons shall come, and we shall meet our record. Then, if we have improved our talents, if we have been honest, true, chaste, benevolent, and charitable, and have sought to uplift every soul with whom we have associated, if we have lived up to the light we have received, and disseminated that light whenever opportunity has presented, how happy we will be and how our hearts will swell with gratitude when we receive from the Maker of heaven and earth that welcome plaudit: “Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things; I will make thee ruler over many things; enter thou into the joy of thy Lord.” [Matthew 25:21.]