I love good meaningful traditions.
One of my favorites at Christmas time
is reading from our Twenty-Four Days of Christmas
book my mother-in-law gave us before children.
It has stories and hymns for Christmas. As the
girls have gotten older we each take turns
reading the stories.
A new yet old tradition is the advent chain.
We normally have a chain we do every year,
but this year we wrote in each chain something
special we would do each day to get
ready for Christmas. The girls
really enjoyed tearing one off each day to
see what we would be able to do. It will be
fun to change it up each year, add new ideas and
keep some of our favorite old ideas.
Start with the bottom link and take off each day
to find a fun activity to share.
1. Cute out a snowflake and hang it up in your window
2. Bake a special treat and deliver it to a neighbor.
3. Write a secret "angel note" telling a family member what
you appreciate about him or her.
4 Recite a favorite Christmas poem.
5 Make a Christmas present for someone you love.
6. Color a happy Christmas picture.
7. Do a secretly good deed for a member for your family.
8. Write a letter to Santa.
9. Read a favorite Christmas story.
10. Mail a Christmas card to a relative or friend.
11. Pass along a holiday smile to everyone you see today.
12. Make a card or gift for a special teacher.
13. Make a decorate a plate of Christmas cookies.
14. Sing a favorite Christmas song.
15. Make a Christmas ornament and hang it on the tree.
16. Wrap a present and put it under the tree.
17. Pretend you're one of Santa's helpers and be a helper
all day long in your family!
18. Write a love note to a special friend.
19. Call your grandparents on the telephone.
20. Draw a picture of the Nativity Scene.
21. Secretly deliver a gift to a needy family.
22. Go Christmas caroling.
23. Bake a treat for Santa and his reindeer.
24. Read the Nativity Story.